Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Rule # 1: If you see a taco truck (that you haven't tried yet), try it!

Rule #1
Of course, Rule # 1 has to be an important one. After all, it's the first goal I thought of, when examining my life.

So here it is:  
If you see a taco truck (that you haven't tried yet), try it!

Deep, I know.

I am a firm believer in the power of tacos. With the right ratio of spice, grease, and radishes, the experience can change your life. Because I live in east Oakland, where taco trucks are plentiful, I take this rule to heart. I know, for instance, that Zamorano is the best (and oldest in Oakland) in the vicinity of my house, and that El Gordo is nowhere near as good, but that it is much much much better than Casa Jiminez, which is awful.

Also, try new kind of tacos. You may love cow head, or tongue. My favorite is the pastor, and I always load up on the grilled onions ana jalapenos, and the pickled carrots. Some days, the only reason I leave the house is to venture down High Street to Zamorano.

If you're in my hood, try a taco crawl. I have done this twice, starting at Zamorano on the corner of High and International. Grab a taco, scarf it down, then head up International (towards downtown Oakland) and stop at any taco trucks or taquerias that look enticing. When I've done this, I could only fit 4 tacos into my tummy, but they're cheap, easy, and fun (there's a joke about prostitutes in there somewhere).

Casa Jimines has dry tacos

Love at the corner of High and International

Not a truck, but darn tasty

No comments:

Post a Comment