Sunday, November 20, 2011

Rule #3: Get moving

Recently I have begun to run. And not after ice cream trucks or away from monsters, but just because. A few years ago I never, ever, would have thought I would run just for the sake of running. But I have been. I'm not particularly fast, and the first time I ran (almost) all the way around Lake Merritt (3.5-ish miles) I thought I was going to barf. But I just run in my slow-mannered fashion, listening to Playing For Change or Firewater on my ipod. Sometimes Spike joins me (he only tries to trip me occasionally). I don't always love running. Sometimes I downright hate it (usually halfway around the lake, when I know I have the same distance to go even if I turn around). But I feel good after I do it. Sweaty, smelly, and sore.

One of the perks to dog-ownership is that it forces you to get out of the house. My dogs get bored, and when they got bored, they do things like chew their expensive collars off, or rifle through the bathroom garbage. When we sit at home all day their sad eyes stare at me, pleading, please let us go to the dog park! As a part of this rule, I have made it a goal of mine to take the dogs out at least three times a week (for weekdays).

Jack and Spike LOVE Point Isabel, located in Richmond. Not only is it the largest off-least dog park in the country, it has a cafe that sells food and coffee (drool) and doggy ice cream. I also love it, because I can stroll (my guess is two miles) and get a little bit of exercise. I just have to watch myself and not order a double-chocolate mocha at the Sit n' Stay Cafe (shouldn't be a prob, my love is saved for the latte).

So much for this $25 collar.

Jack at Lake Temiscal in Oakland

At the Albany Bulb

What you lookin' at?

Too bad it's a bird sanctuary

Golden Gate

Mud boots

Ice cream after an outing.

No comments:

Post a Comment